Sunday, April 26, 2009

Is this, like this?

For the past couple of weeks I have been working in the sculpture studios trying to finish a piece for a show we put together that opened last Friday. During this time I pretty much spent all of my time working; I did nothing that wasn’t absolutely necessary and towards the end I found that I could even cut out sleeping at least for a little while. I basically sacrificed my entire life to this one pursuit for a while and as stressful and unpleasant this may sound it was actually kind of enjoyable. There were a lot of other people who were doing the same thing as me, so we all went a little crazy and spent all our time in the studios together working, and it was all by our own choice. We could have gotten away with spending less time making our respective objects, but we wanted to be there working on them, and when we were away from the studios even for a little while we were anxious to get back. I haven’t decided yet if this kind of totally obsessive behavior is a good thing or not. I happen to be lucky enough to be majoring in the thing that I obsess over, so I have a little bit more freedom to spend so much time on it. I think that idea of being totally immersed in one thing, spending all you time on it is really interesting. I love finding people who have totally dedicated their lives to something. A lot of the collectors that we have looked at in class have done that, and I think that collectors and artists have a similar sort of obsessive devotion to something which I’m sure is very idiosyncratic and may not be understood by many others who are not equally obsessed with their own projects.

No comments:

Post a Comment